Monday, February 8, 2010

I Have Worms!!!




I Have Worms!!!


At the Home & Landscape Expo that took place on January 29th, 30th & 31st, I met Lara who owns Urban Worms. In our conversation I learned quite a bit about “vermicomposting,” the practice of using earthworms to turn your kitchen scraps & other organic material into a rich soil amendment for your house or garden plants.


I have been interested in this type of composting for quite a while. After meeting Lara I was thrilled to be able to purchase my own home composter...which came with 1,000 red worms. It’s very easy to maintain and does not have any unpleasant odors. A medium-sized worm bin can process more than 5 pounds of food waste each week!


According to the Greek philosopher Aristotle, “Earthworms are the intestines of the earth.”


One of the most comprehensive resources on vermicomposting is Mary Appelhof’s by Worms Eat My Garbage, which is in it’s second printing after selling 100,000 copies.








To find out more about the worm systems that are available, and to order, go to Urban-Worms.com or call (818) 506-1284

No comments:

Post a Comment